Wednesday, November 2, 2011

2nd Annual Indy Nephcure Walk - Garfield Park : FSGS Sucks

What the hell is wrong with me???? I just realized that I never posted these photos from the NephCure walk we had on October 22. My mind is slipping (or I'm just tired...distracted...over-extended....)

It was a CHILLY morning....get the goose bumps just thinking about it!  Many thanks to Joselyn Nephcure for all of her help.  She was able to solicit volunteers from Butler University.  She MUST be persuasive because these ladies came to help over Homecoming Weekend!  We were able to get them back in time for their own festivities, but we really appreciated their help registering walkers.

Joselyn also had a Zumba instructor volunteer her time to help us all warm up. Now me? I had a bad experience with Zumba and would like to be able to walk the next day, so I bailed out and took photos of everyone else instead ;)

This is Addy from "Team Sophie" helping to cut the ribbon to start the walk...thanks Addy!
This is Sophie of Team Sophie.  She's 21 months old, and was diagnosed in April of this year.  She's adorable.  Seriously.  She's the cutest!  And I kinda think we're buds now:)



This is Leanne's granddaughter, Jasmine.  Leanne and I spearheaded last year's inaugural campaign, so it was great to see her and her family again.


Sophie's sisters, Rilee and Addy

This is a photo of either those of us with Nephrotic Syndrome or FSGS, or their stand-in.  Sophie wasn't quite my bud yet so she wouldn't let me hold her, but she warmed up eventually.  (From L-R:  Angel's mom, Leanne, Sophie and her mom, me and Wyatt).
And my little one, Izzy :)
When we got back, the kids had some fun painting pumpkins that Leanne brought.  It was a GREAT idea, and the pumpkins turned out great!  Just wish it would'be been warmer so that the paint would've dried better :)
And coffee-creamer jug bowling.  Leanne and her family have a big party every Halloween, so she brought lots of fun things for the kids to do.  These activities and having the playground right nearby made it perfect!



That's the true color of her eyes....no editing here...





Sophie decided to paint her lips instead of the pumpkin
And we're finally friends.  Sophie is an incredibly happy little girl, especially considering that she's on chemo for her disease.
And this is the group.  I wasn't able to get a photo with EVERYONE from the walk because some people had to leave (and I just couldn't get my crap together to get the photo taken..), but we had a really big turnout this year.  I was VERY happy!!!
And here's Leanne and I...best buds :)








We had a really great time this year, and it's so rewarding to see the group grow...that means we're reaching people and getting the word out.  I'm going to miss this group next year, but hopefully the group in Minnesota is as great as this one.  Thanks all!

1 comment:

  1. So very cool, Jenn! I had to flake on my local walk and was pretty bummed about that. Love the pictures - and wow about those piercing eyes!

    ReplyDelete

Transplant / Living Donor Info for me (edited)

I wish I would've had this post ready because I had so many people reach out to me after the last one that wanted to share my info.  I&#...