Thursday, December 1, 2011

NKF Mentoring : FSGS Sucks

I've recently volunteered to be a peer mentor with the National Kidney Foundation (NKF).  You can go here to read more about the program.  Anyway, I've had phone training for the last 2 nights, and it's been very interesting.  The stories of the other volunteers blow me away...seriously, these people have been through A LOT, so it's awesome that they're so positive and willing to help people through this.

I guess that's kind of why I volunteered.  When I was FIRST diagnosed with MCD and took prednisone, I was a wreck.  I mean a complete and utter mess in my head.  What a difference it would've made had I had someone to talk to about it.  How do I know?  Because THIS time around (and now that my diagnosis has changed and become more severe) I've reached out, and created this AMAZING network of kidney peeps.  Sadly, not everyone is as "internet savvy" as I might be, or they just don't have the amount of time.  Maybe they're sicker than I am, or are REALLY struggling..that's what will make this program great...knowing that people have people to talk to...for validation of their feelings, for justification of their feelings...for a shoulder to cry on or an ear to yell into.  Whatever it takes, I'll be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Transplant / Living Donor Info for me (edited)

I wish I would've had this post ready because I had so many people reach out to me after the last one that wanted to share my info.  I&#...