Tuesday, April 17, 2012

FINALLY...a normal day : FSGS Sucks

As you recall....the beginning of last week S.U.C.K.E.D for me.  Unfortunately, it ended in pretty much the same way.  I went to get my hair done Wednesday night (yippee), but as I sat there, I got THE WORST sore throat and ear aches that I've ever had...no seriously..THE WORST.

I got home..cried about how tired I was of feeling like shit, and then went to bed.  I woke up feeling pretty much the same way, so I tried to go to the minute clinic at my CVS (since I don't have a doctor here yet), and they told me they couldn't see me because I was on immunosuppressive therapy.  Awesome.  So they recommended me to the nearby Urgent Care.  Let me just throw this out there that Urgent Care is such a moronic term.  There's nothing "urgent" about it...it took 2 hours..but they FINALLY gave me an antibiotic because my WBC was up, clearly indicating an infection of some sort, but thankfully my body is still able to try to fight it.

I had to take an hour-long drive after that for work...couldn't get out of it, and then back home again, and I was DONE.  Laid on the sofa with Izzy and watched a movie.  Friday night was pretty much the same way, except I woke up with my eyes swollen, but my left eye was really bad as you can see below.


And it just kept getting worse and worse throughout the day.  I swear I go from chronic dry eye to chronic weepy eye in a heartbeat.  And my skin around my eye got really red and irritated and dry.  Btw....the headband..yeah, that's Izzy's idea.  She was doing Mamma's hair :)

But then on Saturday I woke up and it was HORRIBLE.  Okay, horrible may be a relative term, but who the hell cares...it's MY FACE.  Lying down was the worst thing I could've done for the swelling.  And I KNEW at that point that the infection was a sinus infection, because my eye sockets...hell, my whole face hurt.  
And then I started crying again because we had a party to go to that evening.  And for me, well, I just didn't want to go looking like a freak of nature.  I don't want people to look at me in that way...and I'm tired of being sick.  I'm tired of feeling as awful as I do, yet having to "put on a happy face".   Luckily, gravity helped my face (but not my ankles, so I wore jeans) and I went to the party.  I had fun, but didn't feel like myself.  I was so worried about what I was eating, thinking it was going to trigger some crazy other side effect (I've had hella awful heartburn lately).  And I had a glass of sangria, then some water, and then ventured to hot tea (wooohoooo!  living large at the party while everyone else is getting drunk off of yummy wine and beer :)   Fuck...I'm just tired of it.

So tired that I took up my friend Julie's advice and called a holistic kidney doctor on the east coast.  I sent her my labs, completed a questionnaire, and then spent an hour on the phone with her yesterday going over her recommendations.  Surprisingly, everything was reasonable (except no cheese....it's a sad sad world if there's no cheese in it).  And one of the things she DID recommend was taking a 20 minute salt bath every other day.  Now THIS is a prescription that I can easily follow.  It's essentially creating reverse osmosis through my skin to the bathwater to draw out the toxins, and I think it actually sucked out some of the edema today as well, because I can see BONES IN MY FEET!!  Check out these beautiful bony feet!!!!


I've been a bad, bad patient with my meds.  After last week, I stopped taking the Cellcept completely.  I forgot my Acthar dose on Saturday.  I didn't start taking ANY meds (except for the amoxicillin for the sinus infection) again until Sunday night, and I think the break has done me a bit of good...a bit of perspective at least.

3 comments:

  1. What beautiful bony feet you have! That is such a good recommendation. I am SO all for combining holistic with traditional medicine. Best of both worlds. Glad things are looking up-- even if its just a bit!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Happy that you have finally found some relief :) I have MCD. Was diagnosed five years ago. Was on Prednisone + Cyclosporine for almost a year. Was fine for the past five years. Thought I'd never relapse and bingo, at the end of January this year I relapsed. I have no idea what triggered it after all these years. (other than getting a really bad bad cold)

    I was adamant that I would not go on the medicine again. I just couldn't. I've been seeing an Herbalist and drinking medicinal tea. I was almost to my regular weight with maybe 3-4 pounds of water left in me and I relapsed again the week before Easter. Damn. So I am drinking another round of tea. Hoping it will work... I am going to take the tea every month to see if that will keep me from relapsing.

    I'd be interested in the holistic doctor you went to. Is she in Maine? My nephrologist hasn't mentioned any foods that are off limit... but cheese is not good? I'd be interested in what other foods I shouldn't be eating. Not happy with my doctors...just feel like they don't get how awful the medicine is.

    Anyway you are the first person I have "run" into that has this disease. Would welcome any insight you could offer me!

    I am off to take a salt bath because I am so over not being able to fit into anything! My feet/ankles look like club feet and I just want to look and feel normal again!

    Hope to hear from you :) Wishing you a good day! kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for Holistic Kidney Help. I'm hopeful that you mean my friend the holistic doc, she's awesome as a person.

    Sorry you were so sucky, but glad that you ended up feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

Transplant / Living Donor Info for me (edited)

I wish I would've had this post ready because I had so many people reach out to me after the last one that wanted to share my info.  I&#...