Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Improved creatinine AND appetite : FSGS Sucks

Haven't updated in awhile....just honestly haven't felt like writing much.

A bit of good (ok, probably great) news is that my creatinine is back down to 1.6 after 1 1/2 weeks off of Prograf and bactrim.  It appears that the Prograf was becoming toxic, explaining the sharp increase in my creatinine and all of the other symptoms.

A negative side effect of this, however, is that I've totally regained my appetite.  I had lost about 12 pounds in the last month, probably due to not eating / lack of appetite.  Sadly, I think I've gained it all back in a few short days.  I am CONSTANTLY feeling hungry. I've been on a salt binge too, which is exacerbating the weight gain.  Vicious stupid cycle.  But DAYUM, food tastes GREAT again!

So I guess now I'm preparing for Dr. Fervenza's study.  I'm also going to get a local nephrologist to handle my primary care.  I'm not getting the warm and fuzzies that I need with Dr. Fervenza right now...it just seems as though, since he has no other treatment options, that I can't be "treated" anymore.  What I mean by that is that he isn't very good about preparing me for the future...discussion options and what not, and that's what I need right now.

I'm realistic and sometimes optimistic, but that in no way belies the fact that the inevitable WILL happen someday.  My sanity requires preparation and lots of discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Transplant / Living Donor Info for me (edited)

I wish I would've had this post ready because I had so many people reach out to me after the last one that wanted to share my info.  I&#...