Thursday, August 29, 2013

Iohexol test results....

And, apparently my kidneys are still functioning pretty well.  You think I'd be happy about that, wouldn't you?  Well, I'm not, because I felt that this test would PROVE to the powers that be that I was perfect for a transplant.  But with these results, I'm guessing it's unlikely.

Dr. I at the U wants to send my blood to a lab to get some genetic testing done on it.  According to him, if I have this particular mutation, then my chance for FSGS recurrence after transplant is around 5%, instead of the 30-50% without the mutation.

Unfortunately, at this time, my insurance doesn't cover the test.

And it's $5300.

That's a hefty chunk of change to dish out to get an answer that only helps me if I get a transplant, and that's a BIG if at this point.

So now I'm bummed, and the funk is coming.  I can feel the heaviness because I know that this awful limbo will continue.

What frustrates me (and I know this sounds selfish, but so what) is that I feel like I've tried to do so much to get awareness out about FSGS, and I think it'd be really great if there was some kind of a grant that I could get to pay for this.  Hell...how much money have I raised for this cause?  Probably enough to pay for this test.

I'm just spouting angry words right now....I feel better tomorrow, I'm just a bitter betty right now.

1 comment:

  1. You would be at the top of the list for people who deserve the grant. You have done so much for the cause. Could you appeal to the good will of any of the kidney foundations you've helped??

    ReplyDelete

Transplant / Living Donor Info for me (edited)

I wish I would've had this post ready because I had so many people reach out to me after the last one that wanted to share my info.  I&#...