Monday, October 6, 2014

Oh many things you screw up

I went to my OB/GYN today because I've been having some issues ever since I had my IUD surgically removed in February.  Without going into too much detail, let's just say things aren't "right".  I talked with the doctor, who is WONDERFUL, about the issues and she gave me options.  Granted, the options aren't necessarily what I want, but it is what it is.

I'm on a blood thinner as a preventative measure, and that could be playing a part in this, but she couldn't recommend going off of that due to the kidney issues.  Normally they would prescribe some sort of estrogen to help, but I can't have that due to the risk of clots that presents for me.  I could take Depo Provera, which is a type of birth control, but it can contribute to bone density issues, and that's already a problem for someone with kidney disease.  I could have an ablation, which is essentially a sterilization, but I'm just not mentally ready/okay with that option.

I still don't think it's remotely crazy to want another kid.  Now, in my more sane moments, I realize that it's probably nutty, and in all likelihood will never happen.  Not only do I not think I could convince my husband that it's a good idea, but I also have no idea how I'll feel after transplant.  Surely an ablation will pretty much eliminate my symptoms, but I just can't do it.  However, if I were to know more about the physical chances of even HAVING another baby, then that would be more data to make a decision with.  I asked her about testing hormone levels which we'll do on my next cycle.  My thought process here is that, if my uterus or hormones are shot, and in that physical arena there's no chance, then it could make the decision to ablate easier.  Who knows if that'll actually be the case, but it's more information than I had before.

So, first thing I'm going to do is have an ultrasound to rule out any physical changes in the uterus since the removal.  Once that's done, we'll discuss options from there. She noted that it's also important to continue working to get my thyroid under control as that can also play a part.

This is all so fucking complicated.


  1. Wishing a child with kidney issues by itself is your choice. If you feel it's right for you, then it is what it is.

    If a second child is what your couple's hearts want while you have health issues, maybe you can explore adoption and see whether this path is right for your family.
    Having kidney disease does not necessarily prevent adoption. Krissy Bates, another patient with FSGS too, adopted her son. See her blog :
    Her blog is no longer updated, but she told somewhere (I can't seem to find the page right now) that she adopted her child. Ok, the adoption took place years ago, but maybe it can give you food for thought.

    OTOH, I completely understand your husband reluctance. Pregnancy is a first problem, then it's taking care of the baby, + Izzy.
    So, what if you sacrifice your health to have a second child, and your health suffers so much that you cannot take care of both of your children ? How will Izzy feel if you experience such serious complications during labor to the point your children remain orphans ?
    I know that these questions are hard, and are not meant to offend.
    I decided to be childfree because pregnancy would be a too great health hazard on me,. I determine that it would be extremely selfish to be unable to care of a child because of my health (or it would mean that I am too irresponsible to manage my affairs without a guardian).


Woohoo - no more pneumonia (well almost....) but other terrible things, like a car accident...

Hello all!  I felt like it's been forever since I last posted, but it wasn't as bad as I thought once I checked.  I'm writing th...