Friday, December 26, 2014

Received some bad news....

We received some bad news regarding Joacim's potential as a donor.  Essentially, his glucose numbers didn't budge from 3 months ago.  Mayo has also determined that the antibodies I have against his are too high to consider him a suitable direct donor to me, which we kind of already knew, but I still had hopes that they'd work a miracle here but I guess not.  At this point I'm not even sure he's a viable candidate to be a donor to anyone, which means I'm not sure if he'll be able to be in the paired exchange program as my donor.  This is kind of a big freaking deal, ad I'm not sure how to deal with it all.

I have had a few people calling in to donate on my behalf so the donor team will focus on those people first to see if they'll be a match.  In order to maintain privacy, I'm not going to reveal any details about these people unless they read this and give me permission to do so :)  I will say that I've been in recent contact with one of them, and it looks like things are moving forward.  It feels like this process is taking a really long time, but I'm honestly not sure how long it's supposed to take, so I'm trying my hardest to be patient, but it's clearly not easy for me.  I'm in several transplant/dialysis related kidney groups on Facebook, and I see so many people who seem to know they have a match within days, and it frustrates me because I don't have that.  At the same time, I also believe that Mayo is one of the best transplant centers, and that they're working to ensure the best outcome for me.

I clearly need to blog more or I'll never get a new kidney.  I need to be constantly in people's faces, talking about donation.  This truly is the best way for me to get a new kidney, but it's hard....hard to find time and focus in order to get my message across to as many people as possible.  Sometimes I don't think I have it in me, but then I realize how far I've come and that I deserve to have a happy ending.

2 comments:

  1. Hello I was wondering if you could help me with a a question I have. My left eye swells almost exactly the way yours does. Its the most swollen when i first wake up and gradually goes down by night, the swelling goes down about 20-40%, but then starts over the next morning. My eye lids are always fine but it's like the skin in the corner of my eye and nose bridge that swells and recently the skin between my cheekbone and eye has been looking puffy. I was wondering if your eye swells up from your kidney disease or from the medication that you take for it because if it is from the disease i would like to get tested for that myself. I have had a sinus surgery, gone on antibiotics, ct scans, allergy tested, and nothing has helped. Also I'm curious if you have any other symptoms that I have such as thin looking hair ( thin all around the scalp not just on the crown of the head or hairline), joints that pop more often than other people, and general low energy/mood. I have been trying to figure out what i have for almost a year and your eye is the only picture on google images that looked like mine lol. Any information you have will help, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are urgently in need of kidney donors in Kokilaben Hospital India for the sum of $500,000,00,( 3 CRORE INDIA RUPEES) All donors are to reply via Email only: hospitalcarecenter@gmail.com or Email: kokilabendhirubhaihospital@gmail.com
    WhatsApp +91 7795833215

    ReplyDelete

Transplant / Living Donor Info for me (edited)

I wish I would've had this post ready because I had so many people reach out to me after the last one that wanted to share my info.  I&#...