Thursday, February 8, 2018

AV Fistula surgery follow-up and other odds and ends (contains some graphic images...you've been warned).

I've got a whole bunch of emotions that I'm dealing with right now, and I don't even know where to begin.  Whenever this happens, I turn to the photostream on my phone to help me get started (which explains why this post is so picture-heavy :)  I figure that (maybe) if I start writing things about these photos, then all of the other emotions may come to the surface and slowly seen out.  This blog is my therapy and I'm in desperate need of some.

This is my friend Mindy.  We "met" a fear years ago on a blog of someone we both followed.  I don't even remember the exact way it happened, but we discovered we were both in Minnesota, and our friendship grew slowly from there.  We've had lunch a few times here in the cities when she and her family come down (they're in the northern part of Minnesota), but this time she offered to come and help out with my fistula surgery (since I was so hammered from my nephrectomy), and I took her up on it.  It's never easy for me, or us as a family, to accept help, but it's something we know we need to work on.

Mindy is the kindest soul...what I love about her is how positive she is and how openly appreciative she is of her friends!  She's a transplant here too (from Vegas), and I've often marveled at how easy it is for her to make friends, which is something I've struggled with here.  Anyway, it was really great having here here...Joacim and Izzy loved her as well, and we're all looking forward to seeing her again soon!

These are pictures from surgery day.  The original plan was for general anesthesia, but I had had one terrible experience with that prior, and that was enough for the anesthesiologist to think differently, and I ended up with a nerve block.  This is the doctor using an ultrasound machine to find the nerve in my neck/shoulder to block the full length of my arm.



I'll admit that I was REALLY nervous about this surgery.  Partly because I wasn't even healed from the one I'd had 8 days prior, but also because the last time I had a surgery on my fistula was incredibly painful....I mean the WORST.  But having this nerve block changed everything.  I woke up happy and smiling and requesting a popsicle :)


And I was amazed that I could use it the next day. I had started creating new buttonholes the week before in preparation for the surgery, and they worked fine the day after surgery, even though one of them was SO close to the incision.



The surgery scars initially after are pretty ugly.  This was the first time that I'd had actual stitches in all of the surgeries I've had in the last 2 years...usually it was just stern-strips keeping everything closed.

This is the vein they took to repair the actual fistula.


Random addition to this post, but we finally had a real snow day....around 9" of beautiful snow!!!


Ahhh....and here are my buddies....I love these pups....


Our neighbor brought over her old snowboard for Izzy to try....she's quite a natural athlete, but the gymnastics training she's been doing for the last 5 years has been superd-helpful for her balance.

NOW FOR THE GRAPHIC IMAGES PART!!!  DON'T LOOK ANY FURTHER IF YOU'RE QUEASY AT THE SIGHT OF BLOOD......



So the other day while dialyzing, I noticed that the venous (return) needle was starting to "back out" from the pressure.  I didn't have it secured properly and needed more tape, so I reached over my arm to get the roll of tape, and the whole needle came out while the machine was running.  I spent a good 4-5 seconds panicking and then just starting closing any clamp that was close.  That wasn't working so I just stopped the machine entirely.  Holy shit, that was a lot of blood.  The venous site was spewing blood, as was the dislodged needle....all over the chair, heating pad, my face and hair.  There aren't a lot of things grosser than being covered in your own warm, sticky blood.  Ahhh...a day in the life of a dialysis patient.  Luckily I usually only make these mistakes once ;)





8 comments:

  1. Dr Itua cure my HIV, I have been a ARV Consumption for 10 years. i have been in pains until i came across Dr Itua on blogs site.I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location i explained every thing to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cured me, he gave me guarantee,He ask me to pay for items fees so when i'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua.I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days.Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work.My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and rest of my friends did too,Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what i'm talking about if you have same problem I was having then not now though.I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center.I have his calendar too that he recently sent me,He Cure all kind disease Like,Cancer,Weak Erection,Wart Remover,Hpv,Herpes,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Liver/Kidney Inflamatory,Epilepsy,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Brain Cancer,Lung Cancer,Infertility,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back..Here his Contact .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed of Herpes 2years ago and I have tried all possible means to get the cure but all to no avail, until i saw a post in a health forum about a Herbal Doctor(Dr imoloa who prepares herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including Herpes, at first i doubted, if it was real but decided to give him a trial, when i contacted Dr imoloa through his Email: drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com he guided me and prepared a herbal medicine and sent it to me via courier Delivery service,when i received the package (herbal medicine) He gave me instructions on how to consume it, i started using it as instructed and i stop getting outbreaks and the sores started vanishing, could you believe i was cured of this deadly virus within two to three weeks and notices changes in my body. Days of using this REMEDY,couldn't believe the healing at first until i see it as my HERPES get cleared like magic Dr imoloa also use his herbal medicine to cure diseases like, HIV/aids, lupus disease, dry cough, fever, malaria, bronchitis disease, cystic fibrosis, Lyme disease, acute myeloid leukaemia, alzheimer's disease, blood poisoning, measles, kidney cancer, kidney infections, diarrhoea, epilepsy, joint pain, mouth ulcer,bowel cancer, discoid eczema, eye cancer, food poisoning, fibroid, hairy cell leukaemia, mouth cancer, skin disease, lung cancer, rheumatoid lung disease, liver disease, penile cancer, parkinson disease, arthritis, breast cancer, bone cancer hepatitis A.B.C, Diabetes, fatigue, muscle aches, anal cancer, asthma, Contact this great herbal Doctor today the father of herbalism. via Email: drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com or whatssapp him +2347081986098. and get cured permanently He is real..

    ReplyDelete

Transplant / Living Donor Info for me (edited)

I wish I would've had this post ready because I had so many people reach out to me after the last one that wanted to share my info.  I&#...