Thursday, August 6, 2020

Back from a 2-year absence....

This is the first time I've logged onto my blog in 2 years!  I only thought it had been a year since I last posted, but I was way off on that I guess.

So what made me come back?  There are a few reasons:

  • First and foremost,  I need another transplant and I hope this blog ends up being seen by someone willing to donate their kidney to me, because a living donor is still my best option.  I've been on dialysis for 3 1/2 years now, and while I'm doing well on it, I would still rather live a life that's not dependent on a machine.
  • Last week I participated in the National Kidney Foundation's Big Ask Big Give webinar and it was motivating.  This is a webinar for people looking for a living donor kidney as well as their friends/family.  It was a shortened version (I think) but still great.The purpose of it is to help us better tell our stories in the hopes of finding a living donor.  There's a lot of info that I need to go through, and actually go through the process of working through all of the worksheets, but it's the first time I've been motivated to do anything in regards to the search for a living kidney donor.
  • Lynnda ;)  Lynnda is a woman I met several years ago via the interwebs.  Her husband, Tony, has the same disease as I do, and we went through our transplants around the same time, and had similar experiences (she somehow stumbled across this blog).  We've become friends over the years, and occasionally she asks me when I'm going to re-start my blog.  She finds value in my perspective, and she's never given up on me.  It'll be nice to finally tell her that I re-started it ;)
  • I think writing down my thoughts/feelings is cathartic for me.  I've noticed my anxiety level is much higher now than when I was regularly blogging here, but my health is actually more stable now than it's ever been.  Maybe getting the words out of my head and into the world will make me feel better.
Last night I had a terrible run.  Well, I didn't actually run at all.  I think I have a narrow spot in my fistula, and the needle that "pulls" blood from my body to the dialysis machine feels like it's sucking a big vacuum, and it doesn't like that at all...the machine just can't run, so I had to abort the whole thing.  When I physically palpate my fistula, I can feel a narrow spot right where the tip of the arterial needle hits.  I called the vascular surgery center today and they initially said that they couldn't get time in until next Tuesday.  I'll try to dialyze again tonight, but my concern is that if it doesn't work, then that will have been 4 days since my last good run.  That means 4 days worth of fluid and electrolyte build-up, and I've already been having problems with high potassium levels (and those are no joke....they can stop your heart instantly, without warning). It's been 3 days and I already feel the effects of no dialysis.  Luckily my dialysis nurse was able to explain all of this to them and they got me in for a fistulagram tomorrow at 11:45am.  A fistulagram is where they go into the fistula itself and inject a dye to see if/where the narrowing is, and if there is one, then they use a balloon angioplasty to try to widen it.  It's a pretty common procedure (one I've had several times), but this is the first time I've been in a hospital since COVID, and it's a lot nerve-wracking.  It should all go smoothly, fingers crossed!!!

11 comments:

  1. ���� Thinking of you and your family!
    Hang in there!
    Looking forward to hearing more about how you’re doing since it’s been awhile!
    Think of you guys often.
    A bunch of us will go on this journey along side with you!!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story touch deep down in my heart Jenn. I am blessed to know you dear. You are a true fighter and even though it somtimes may be tiring - keep fighting. I miss you guys and looking forward to seeing you again, and our next vacation together.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so brave keep fighting and praying. I'll pray for you always.

    CQB16-MARS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending prayers for success Jenn. I shared your post about kidbey donation. I pray one comes avaliable for you soon. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad your back, your posts have helped me feel not so alone. Stay positive and good luck all the way from the UK

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your stories are very inspiring. Thank you for sharing them with us! Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Sir/Madam,
    We are urgently in need of kidney donors in (LS foundation center) to help patients who face lifetime dialysis problems unless they undergo kidney transplant. Here we offer financial reward to interested donors. Please kindly contact us at: kidneyliverin@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Help us make more transplants possible!
    We are urgently in need of kidney donors in (LS Foundation Centre) to help patients who face lifetime dialysis problems unless they undergo kidney transplant. Here we offer financial reward to interested donors. Please kindly contact us at: kidneyliverin@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Transplant / Living Donor Info for me (edited)

I wish I would've had this post ready because I had so many people reach out to me after the last one that wanted to share my info.  I&#...