Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Lunacy

So far today, I've read the following:

Cereal and bread are the biggest heart and kidney risks
If I just eat organic, I can prevent kidney disease
And, my favorite, baking soda cures kidney disease.

Why am I writing about this?  Because I think it's lunacy, and borders on irresponsible.  I never realized that I'm an anomaly...meaning an informed patient.  I can't tell you how many doctors (ok, ALL OF THEM) say, "You're a smart, educated, obviously informed patient".  Nice to hear, yes, but makes me realize that, if they feel the need to comment on it, then it's obviously a rarity.

Which brings up the irresponsible part.  Now don't get me wrong, I believe we're all responsible for our own actions, but I also believe that there are a lot of vulnerable people out there, and those with chronic conditions may be more so just due to the fact that their (our) illnesses do not have a defined duration....an end point...a light at the end of the tunnel.  They are always there, and sometimes that weighs heavily.  And that heaviness sometimes makes people desperate, or willing to try ANYTHING to get better.  Which is why I get so damn frustrated when I see these headlines, or see people mentioning them on Twitter or Facebook.  Most of these point to sham websites, or people trying to make a quick buck off of the weak or uninformed.  I know there's nothing that can be done about it, but I can still be pissed, can't I?

In very few of these articles is it ever mentioned that one should consult with one's doctor before trying anything.  Why????  Are they afraid that the doctor's are going to be "on" to them...figure out that they're full of shit?  Whatever...it's just wrong.  Every person with a chronic illness should have a true partnership with their doctor, one that is focused on helping and healing, not trying the latest crackpot solution out there.  I firmly believe that I won the lottery with my doctor.  We can have honest, frank discussions about my options, I feel completely comfortable to disagree and even get a second opinion if I feel the need to, and that is PRICELESS when dealing with this damn disease.  I may even be their most frequent caller ;) but I don't care.  I don't feel the slightest twinge of guilt when calling anymore, because if I'm not an advocate for myself, then who will be?

Ok, rant over.  You can go about your daily business :)

1 comment:

  1. You've heard about deodorants, right?? Aluminum in anti-persperant, so got to stick to the other stuff.

    People are often not good at talking to their doctors about stuff - from symptoms to drug side effects. Not good! (Says a guy who is being a not-good patient right now. I'm working on it, though...)

    ReplyDelete

Transplant / Living Donor Info for me (edited)

I wish I would've had this post ready because I had so many people reach out to me after the last one that wanted to share my info.  I&#...