Friday, April 5, 2013

I have a nurse case manager!

I guess I need to get my ducks in a row.  Now granted, I'm actually pretty organized when it comes to my kidneys (not so much in other areas, but I digress).

So, Hennepin County Medical Center is in a "no referral status" with Cigna, which means that if I were to choose them for a transplant, then my benefits would only be covered at 90%.  With choosing a Lifesource facility, which is Cigna's way of saying "preferred", they're covered at 100%, plus travel benefits if a center is 60+ miles from my home.  The 2 Lifesource facilities here in Minnesota are Mayo and University of Minnesota, so the next step for me is to contact my nephrologist here in town and see what he thinks of U of M.

Once a facility is selected and Cigna contacts my nephrologist, I need to be evaluated and approved for a transplant via the insurance company.  There'll be a battery of tests (most of which I've already done) including chest x-rays, EKG, ECG, dentist, and visits with a social worker.  I'll also provide my previous results for pap, colonoscopy and mammogram so that I don't have to do THOSE again.  Once all that stuff is done, AND if they approve me, THEN Joacim can get typed for donation.  It's a bit frustrating that we go through all of this before we even know if he's able to donate, but then on the flip side, it wouldn't make sense for insurance to pay for typing if I wasn't able to get a transplant.  So I guess it's a wash.

This will be interesting...to see how it all plays out.  Who knows what will happen....if this will even go through.  I'll just keep my fingers crossed that we make it to the point of typing Joacim, because as I said earlier...if he's not a match, then it just doesn't matter.

Other than that, things are good.  The only side effect that I think I'm experiencing from the trial is an occasional bloody nose, but since I live in Minnesota, that could be weather-related.  I've communicated this info to the coordinator for documentation, but it's not sever enough to warrant worry, just annoyance.

It looks like we're starting up a chapter of Nephcure here in Minnesota now!  And we may hold our first walk at the Mall of America.  There is an amazing woman who I consider to be a friend that is affiliated with the mall, and sadly her daughter has FSGS.  She's going to be an amazing asset to the organization!!!  We also have a new regional coordinator who is excited and energized, and planning on making a trip up here.  There are apparently quite a few FSGS patients in Minnesota, so we need to do a better job of getting the word out!

3 comments:

  1. Lots of good news here - woo hoo! How much fun would a walk be in the MoA? Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If he doesn't match, he could so paired exchange. If your center offers it of course. That is what my husband wanted to so, since he didn't match, but luckily my brother was a 4/6 match.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are urgently in need of Organs Donors, Kidney donors,Female Eggs
    Kidney donors Amount: $600.000.00 Dollars
    Female Eggs Amount: $500,000.00 Dollars
    Email: jainhospitalcare@gmail.com
    Whats App: +91 8754313748
    Please share this post.

    ReplyDelete

Transplant / Living Donor Info for me (edited)

I wish I would've had this post ready because I had so many people reach out to me after the last one that wanted to share my info.  I&#...